What’s The Difference Between Fate And Destiny? (Don’t Get Them Confused!)
Are you living out your fate or creating your destiny?
By Mateo Sol | Guest Writer
Fate and destiny are both terms that tend to be used interchangeably in conversations. We hear people saying “He met his fate” and “It must be her destiny” – but have you ever wondered that the actual differences between fate and destiny are?
If you’re wanting to discover what path you’re on, I want to help you find a clear answer by the end of this article.
Related: These 4 States of Consciousness Lead To Immense Suffering
Table of Contents
- What is Fate?
- What is Destiny?
- What’s the Difference Between Fate and Destiny? (Summarized)
- Do We Have Control?
- How to Fulfil Your Destiny
What is Fate?
“Fate” comes from the Latin word Fatum meaning “that which has been spoken.” Therefore, through the ages, fate has come to be associated with that which has been predetermined for our lives. Fate is based on the notion that there is a natural order in the Universe which cannot be changed, no matter how hard we try. The ancient Greeks and Romans even believed that three goddesses called Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos (or the “Three Fates”) had the role of determining a person’s ultimate life path.
Overall, fate tends to have pretty negative connotations. For example, people who experience misfortune often tend to believe that fate is the cause. Pessimistic terms such as “to seal one’s fate” and “a fate worse than death” all suggest that fate is something undesirable and negative.
Spiritually, fate is what occurs when we ignore our life calling and don’t actively work to reconnect with our souls or True Nature. When we leave our lives up to fate, we are basically handing over the reigns of control to other people and outside circumstances. When we don’t put any effort into consciously changing and evolving, what happens is fate.
What is Destiny?
Destiny has much more positive connotations than fate. Deriving from the Latin word Destinare, destiny means “that which has been firmly established.” While this definition also refers to the idea of predetermined events, destiny is something we can actively shape and alter. Unlike fate, there is an element of choice in destiny. Qualities such as courage, compassion, willpower, and patience can all help to change your destiny.
Spiritually, destiny is intimately connected to our ultimate life path. When we choose to step up and take responsibility for our lives, then we are actively shaping our destiny instead of leaving our lives to fate. Fulfilling our destiny involves consciously developing a connection to our deepest inner selves and maturing on an emotional, mental, and spiritual level.
What’s the Difference Between Fate and Destiny? (Summarized)
Fate is that which you cannot change. Destiny is that which you’re meant to do. While fate is what happens when you don’t take responsibility for your life, destiny is what happens when you commit to growing, learning, and taking chances. Being “destined for greatness” only comes through active and conscious decisions. But fate is what happens when you let other people and external circumstance dictate your life.
Do We Have Control?
Fate and destiny can be perceived as two sides of the same coin: both are predetermined. But the important thing to remember is that there are infinite possibilities in life. Fulfilling our destiny means consciously directing the stream of our lives in a certain direction. While subjectively (to the ego) this means that we have control and choice, objectively, there is no such thing as control or choice because the concept of “me” and “you” don’t exist (except in the mind).
So the answer to the question “do we have control” is paradoxical: we do and we do not have control. However, while we are still operating on the level of having a sense of self (ego), it is vital that we proactively work to step up and take responsibility for our destiny.
Related: The Symbolism Behind Coming Across These 11 Innocuous Animals
How to Fulfil Your Destiny
As long as you are consciously seeking to learn, grow, and spiritually evolve, you are fulfilling your destiny. However, if you’re wanting to achieve your highest potential, you might benefit from the following tips:
- Develop self-understanding. There are so many free resources out there (including this website) which can help you understand who you are better. Our free tests section is a great place to start.
- Find out what you’re passionate about. What sets your soul on fire? What excites and thrills you? What do you admire and deeply enjoy doing? Make sure you keep doing whatever fulfils you.
- Surround yourself with supportive people who inspire you. Critics and judgmental people often trigger huge amounts of self-doubt within us. Sometimes we actually listen to these unsupportive people who tell us how to “live our lives,” resulting in us choosing the wrong life path. Identify people in your life who are negative influences and remove them or reduce contact. Seek out kind, inspiring, and empathetic friends.
- Permit yourself to move out of your comfort zone. Often, the biggest life changes occur when we make bold decisions. Sometimes fulfilling your destiny means getting a little bit uncomfortable or even making a terrifying leap of faith. Whatever the case, make sure you listen to your intuition and also use logic where necessary.
- Identify limiting beliefs. When we believe our thoughts, we experience anger, insecurity, sadness, shame, and anxiety. The number one greatest block most people experience when trying to fulfil their destiny are core beliefs. Core beliefs are the main ideas we carry about ourselves which we were conditioned to believe since birth. Common core beliefs include “I am unworthy,” “I am stupid,” “I am a bad person,” and “I don’t deserve happiness.” Read more about core beliefs.
- Ask other people for support. You don’t need to travel your journey alone. If you need some guidance, seek out help from a loved one, counsellor or spiritual teacher. People who have walked this path before you can share a lot of wisdom which will benefit you greatly. I like to say a simple prayer asking for guidance when I need help. Prayer doesn’t have to be religious – you can pray to Life, the Universe, Spirit, the Mystery, or whatever moves you.
- Make a list of all your strengths. This simple practice can help to direct your energy in a more sustainable and beneficial way.
- Remember that setbacks are normal. There is no such thing as failure, only learning opportunities. If something doesn’t go your way, take a deep breath and realize that sometimes life wants us to move in a different direction.
- Create goals. Goals are clearly defined milestones which can help you to get organized and prioritize what is most important to you.
- Show kindness towards yourself. The more love and compassion you show towards yourself, the more you are naturally moving towards your ultimate destiny. Be mindful of negative and critical thoughts and let them pass without attaching to them.
- Be yourself. There has never been a person exactly like you on the face of this planet, ever. Instead of imitating other people, explore what comes most naturally to you. There are too many people out there copycatting others. Be yourself. Explore your own style. Enjoy the peace that comes with not having to be someone you’re not.
- Ask yourself, “What do I want the most in life?” and direct all of your attention towards fulfilling that goal. Do you want freedom, peace of mind, love? When all’s said and done, everything returns back to the desire for happiness. However, remember that chasing happiness actually creates suffering. Happiness can never be found in the past or future: it can only ever be found now, in the present moment. Therefore, to further refine the question, you might like to ask yourself “How can I enjoy life right now, in the present moment?”
Has this article helped you to discover the difference between fate and destiny? I hope the tips here have inspired you to actively shape your life path, rather than leaving it down to the forces of fate.
What are your thoughts about fate and destiny?
About the Author
Mateo Sol is a prominent psycho-spiritual teacher whose work has influenced the lives of thousands of people worldwide. Born into a family with a history of drug addiction, schizophrenia, and mental illness, Mateo Sol was taught about the plight of the human condition from a young age. As a spiritual guide and teacher, Sol’s mission is to help others experience freedom, wholeness, and peace in any stage of life.
See more of his work at lonerwolf.com.